Web based forum
KProf project page
Welcome to the KProf homepage!
What is KProf ?
KProf is a visual tool for developers, which displays the execution
profiling output generated by code profilers. The output of profilers
being usually difficult to read (beyond the flat profile information),
KProf presents the information in list- or tree-views that make the information
very easy to understand.
KProf provides access to the following features:
- Flat profile view displays all function / methods and their
- Hierarchical profile view displays a tree for each function
/ method with the other functions / methods it calls as subelements.
- Object profile view, for C++ developers, groups the methods
in a tree view by object name.
- Graph view is a graphical representation of the call-tree,
- Method view is a more detailed look at an individual
method - cross referenced.
- Recursive functions carry a special icon to clearly show that
they are recursive.
- Right-clicking a function or method displays a pop-up with the list
of callers and called functions. You can directly go to one of these functions
by selecting it in the pop-up menu.
- The flat profile view provides an additional filter edit box to filter
the display and show only the functions or methods containing the text
that you enter.
- Function parameters hiding if the function name is unique
(i.e. no different signatures)
- C++ template abbreviation (template parameters can be hidden)
- Automatic generation of call-graph data for GraphViz and
VCG, two popular graph image generators.
- Diff mode support to compare two profile results.
Supported profilers are:
- GNU gprof, the most commonly available profiler
of unix platforms.
- Function Check, a recent and much better
profiler for Unix using special GCC tricks.
OS Emulator (compiled with profiling turned on), which can generate execution
profiling results for Palm OS applications.
KProf is distributed under the GPL license and is available in source code
form, for free.
Compilation & Installation
Once you have downloaded the KProf sources, do:
% tar xvfz kprof-1.4.1.tar.gz
% cd kprof-1.4.1
% ./configure --prefix=(where KDE is installed, for example /opt/kde3)
enter your root password
# make install
The next time you start KDE, your K menu will have a KProf entry
in the Development submenu (on some distributions, you may have to
manually add KProf to the system menu).
Status - Septemeber 20, 2002
KProf 1.4.1 has been released. You can download it here. It is a KDE 3.x application. Here is the list of new
features and changes:
- Builds with GCC 3.2
- Now contains a HTML based call-graph display which is linked
to a detailed method view
- Executable to profile and the profiler to use can now be specified
on the command line
To compile KProf, you need the KDE 3.x development libraries
and the corresponding Qt package.
KDE ships with all up-to-date Linux
distributions and free BSD systems. It should also compile on commercial
Unices like Solaris and HP-UX. Note that this requirement only refers to
the libraries KProf needs. It is not necessary to use any part of KDE.
KProf should run fine with any window manager or desktop environment.
The flat profile view
The hierarchical profile view
The object profile view